Thursday, June 27, 2013

Running in the South

It's the middle of the summer in Middle Georgia.  It's hot.  It's humid.  It's sunny.  As a friend of mine once said on Facebook, "It's officially too hot to run during daylight hours."  Amen sister!  Today I got a late start.  By the time I was done running it was 81 degrees with 80% humidity.  That means it felt like it was 86.  Did I mention it was sunny?

Today's goal was to simply run a 5K.  I only made it to a little over a 4K (2.5 miles) before I had to walk.  While I was running I had to take off my glasses because they were fogging over. I also had to wipe the sweat off my face with my shirt.  The sweat was running into my eyes and starting to sting.  I apologize to any of my neighbors who were forced to look at my white flabby stomach.  I'll try to not let it happen again.  



It sound like I'm whining...and I guess I am. I'm sure if I'd gotten up and run earlier in the day it would have been cooler.  There would have been more shade.  The problem with that is the whole getting up thing.  It's summer.  My kids don't have to be anywhere in the mornings.  They're old enough to get up, go upstairs and watch TV on their own.  They know they are risking their lives by waking mom up in the morning.  They can even get their own breakfast.  I only have a few short weeks to sleep in during the summer...and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.  When I do crawl out of bed (usually at the insistence of the dog) I need to have time to fully wake up.  I need to eat some breakfast and drink a little Coke.  (I don't do coffee, but I must have caffeine.)  Then, of course, I need to let it all settle.  Oh yeah, I also need to allow time for anything that needs to exit.  There really is process to it all.

I guess that's just part of running in the South.  I'm sure one day we'll move north somewhere and I'll complain about the cold and the snow.  I guess the weather will always be a part of my randomness... for better or for worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment