Friday, November 22, 2013

It's Only a Mile...Or Is It?

The mile.  Ever runner knows the mile.  Some love it, and some hate it.  

During my "career" as a runner the mile has had different meanings to me.  During my first couple of runs I never thought I'd be able to run a mile.  Heck, I could barely run for a minute.  How was I ever going to run long enough to cover a whole mile?  I even drove a mile in my car to check the distance.   It just seemed crazy.

Then one day, it happened.  I actually ran a mile.  After training for what felt like forever (really only about 2 months) I ran a mile.  I was a miracle. Before I knew it I was up to 2 miles and then 3. 

It's amazing how over time you perspective changes. Recently I was on a long run and told myself, "Only one more mile."  Only one...like it's no big deal. Just around the corner (or two or three). I would never have said "Only one more mile" way back at the beginning. 

Starting today I'm going to look at a mile a little differently. From Thanksgiving through New Year's Day I'm committing to run at least one mile each day. That's 35 straight days of running. At least 35 miles. I usually only run every other day...so this will be a challenge. 


This morning I started my "streak" by running 4 miles around the base of Stone Mountain. I can't think of a more beautiful place to run. It was a cold, cold, cold morning...thank goodness is was sunny!  


Now that I've put it in writing for the world to see I can't give up. It's the start of something new...for 35 days at least. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment