Thursday, November 7, 2013

Let Me Introduce Myself

Hello! I'd like to introduce myself.  My name is the Random Runner.  You may have heard of me...I used to write a blog about my running...or sometimes the lack thereof.

Lately you may have noticed that I haven't been blogging...but you may not know I haven't been running much either. Yep...that's why I'm the random runner.


October was quite the month.  I ran like crazy the first half of the month...and ended the month by not running for two week break.  I didn't bike at all (other than selling Cub Scout popcorn with my son).  Not my best month...

So...you may be wondering how I did on all of my October goals.  Here is how I would grade myself:
  • Run 26.2 miles- I ran a total of 38.19 miles...almost a marathon and a half.  A+
  • Run a least 2 times each week - This should have been an easy goal.  This was one of those I had no doubt I could do...and I didn't.  I started strong, but then sickness, pain, commitments and life got in the the way.  D
  • Run a non-stop 10k - I set this goal several months ago...so it has been in the back of my mind for a while.  I'm proud to say I actually did this twice during October.  A
  • Participate in a 5k race - I ran in the Stamp Out Poverty 5k on the 12th.  A miracle happened and I actually placed in my age group and won a medal.  It's so pretty!  I resisted the urge to wear it every day for a month...but I was tempted.  A++
  • Not die running - I know I set the bar pretty low here...but if I can't accomplish this I have no business running.  (Not that I could run anymore...)  A
  • Complete 26.2 miles before the 15th - I knew this would be a stretch...but I finished my marathon on the 14th.  I guess I didn't leave much room to spare...but as long as I finished then that's all that matters.  A
  • Run a 5k with an average pace of 10:00 - This is one I still can't believe I really did.  I went running on a Monday morning and kicked butt.  I ran faster than I had ever run before. My pace was 9:39...and my total run was 29:54.  Now that I know I can run that fast means I need to do it more often...maybe my next race?   A++
  • Run 1 mile in 9 minutes or less -  Not so much.  Right now my fastest is 9:23.  I was going to work on this during the second half of the month, but it's hard to reach a goal when you don't even run.  C-
  • Run 10 miles without stopping - This was my most ambitious goal by far. My longest run was 8.6 miles.  This was my last run before my long break.  I wanted to go farther...but my legs just stopped.  They wouldn't move another inch.  I had to wait a couple of minutes before I could even start to walk to my car.  F
 I can't wait to get my medal in the mail...I worked hard to earn it.  I'll post pictures when it arrives.

Why did I barely run during the second half of the month?  Well, it was a mixture of a lot of little things.
  1. During my super-long 8.6 mile run my ankle and foot started to hurt.  I mean really hurt...like I was worried I had a stress fracture hurt.  I ignored the pain while I was running...but afterwards I started to get a little worried.  I knew I needed to give myself a few extra days of rest.  
  2. I volunteered to proctor standardized testing at school.
  3. My fall allergies kicked in, and I couldn't breathe very well...much less run.  
  4. I went Cub Scout camping with my son.  We stayed up late at night walked a lot during the day.  The camp had lots of hills and uneven  paths.  The weekend was not conducive to running.
  5. All the walking at camp gave me blisters...bad
  6. A doctor's appointment
  7. More volunteering at school.
excuses are like running shoes

I know...no excuse is a good excuse...but this is the best I have.  This is why I'm a random runner.

Today is Thursday again...and I'm ready to hit the road.  I'm ready to get back into it.  Let's go!!!

Run for more than the finish line. #chadhalf #chadhero #running #motivation

No comments:

Post a Comment