Monday, October 14, 2013

Miracles Really Do Happen!

Saturday wasn't just a good running day...it was a MIRACULOUS day.  I did something I never thought I'd do...I earned my first running medal.  Now this wasn't a finisher's medal...the type everyone who crosses the finish line gets.  Nope...this was a real honest to goodness medal I earned.  Well...kinda.  Here's my story:

In an effort to get in my October race I needed to run this weekend.  Last weekend we were out of town and I have conflicts the next two weekends...so that meant this was the only weekend available.  The only problem is that there weren't many races to choose from...without driving a couple of hours. I finally found a race that was close to me.  I had trouble finding it, because it wasn't well advertised, but I finally found the Benevolent Charity Fund Stamp Out Poverty 5k.  

The race was a 45 minute drive away, so I had to start the morning at 6.  On a Saturday.  What was I thinking? I don't do early very well...and I don't like leaving the house before the sun comes up.

Since I wasn't sure where I was going I arrived about 40 minutes early.  I quickly noticed that the only people dressed to run were high school students.  Oh help!  I immediately began to wonder if I was going to finish last.  I also wondered if the church was open for me to use the bathrooms.  After returning from the lovely porta-pottie in the back of the parking lot (the day just kept getting better) I found more adults ready to run.  Thank goodness!!!  

When the race started there were still less than 50 people running.  This is by far the smallest race I've ever run.  I surveyed the crowd and there were 3-4 ladies that might be in age group.  I found my competition.  There were only 2 medals per age group, so I knew I would have to push myself to run.  With that small of a group I was determined to medal.

The race began and all the high school kids took off.  I was left in the back with some of the older folks (not old...just older.)  Age before beauty...or something like that. I passed a few people, but there just weren't many runners around me.  Soon the only person just in front of me was 20 feet ahead, and and she was slowly inching further away.  Of course, she looked to be in my age group...but there was no way I was going to catch her.  I was sure all the other ladies I was competing against were behind me...but I wasn't positive.  All I could do is pray for the best and just keep running.

As I finished the race I realized that I was the 18th person to finish. (I told you that it was a really small race.) My time wasn't as good as I would have liked.  I finished in 33:01, but my app said I had run 3.23 miles.  (I guess they hadn't measured correctly for the start and finish line.)  My actual 5k time was 31:43 (only 20 seconds behind my best) and my average pace was 10:13...not too shabby.

This race I stayed around for the awards.  Usually I leave after the race was over...but the slight chance of a medal kept me from bolting.  (That and the fact that police cars had blocked off the street where we were racing.)  I am proud to say that I placed 2nd in my age group...out of 2.  I was also the 2nd female over 20 to finish. After 3 straight races finishing in 4th I finally had my medal! I don't think I'm going to take it off for a few days...just don't laugh when you see me wearing it in Walmart.


This race added to my October marathon...giving me a total of 22.5 miles.  Only 3.7 miles left to go!  I CAN do this before the 15th.  Stay tuned for more marathon updates.


1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome! Congratulations! I've heard that smaller races can be really fun because you have the chance of winning your age group. You earned it!

    ReplyDelete