Thursday, September 19, 2013

10k Baby!!!

I wasn't planning on posting today...but I had an epic run. Not a good run, not a great run...an EPIC run.

For starters, I woke up to a beautiful 63 degree morning. That's a whole 10 degrees cooler than my last run. It's amazing the difference that makes. Second, Monday's run had been record breaking in many ways. I was sure today's would be even better.


In my 10k training today was the day that I said goodbye to my walk breaks.  Today I was supposed to run for 60 minutes straight with no stops. That's right, no walking.  Not one single step.  Monday I made it just over 49 minutes before I stopped to walk...and my total running time was over 60 minutes so I knew that I could do it.

Usually I make crazy running decisions halfway through a run...but not today.  Nope, this time I jumped the gun and made my crazy decision before I took a single step.  I decided that 60 minutes would almost be a full 10k...so maybe I should just go for it and do the whole thing.  After all, the weather was great, I was feeling great, and the planets seemed to be in perfect alignment.  Why not go for it?

I'm not going to lie...it was hard.  My legs wanted to stop, but I didn't give in.  I did all I could to make it easier.  I drank my water, ate my beans, did my best to avoid running uphill and finished the run on a nice long downhill.
Running is nothing more than a series of arguments between the part of your brain that wants to stop and the part that wants to keep going.

Finally I finished.  I ran a full 10k!!!  I was so excited I called my hubby while I walked the long mile back to my house (because I live in the uphill part of the neighborhood).  If I'd had any energy left I might have done a cartwheel, but I was just trying to not lie down on the side of the road.

I celebrated by having lunch at Moe's...because who couldn't pass up free queso?  I can think of only a few better ways to enjoy the 1000 calories I burned than queso.  (Cupcakes, ice cream, Coke, chocolate...I could keep going but it's only making me hungry.)

Tomorrow will be a rest day...and maybe the next couple days after that.  I'm going to enjoy this feeling as long as I can.  10k...I did it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment