Friday, August 2, 2013

Week in Review

What a week.  Out went July, in came August!  With the end of July came back-to-school shopping, and August brought the first day of school. Time to get back into normal life.  Well, as normal as things can get.


I've been trying to run more often, and get on track to train for a 10k.  My body has not been happy with me...specifically me knees.  I've been fighting my Iliotibial Band (aka IT Band) for a while now.  (A common running injury.)  I thought I'd slowed down enough to make my IT band happy, but it's been letting me know that I was WRONG!  Sooooo...I've decided to try and mix in some other exercises to rest my kneew.  The goal is to keep active, but not run all the time. 


This is what I've been up to over the past week:

Saturday - A couple of weeks ago I got a new bike...and early Birthday present to me!  It's not a street bike, but it will give me a good workout.


Isn't it pretty?  I love the retro look and purple color.  I've added a water bottle holder (because bikers always need to have a little water on hand), a handlebar iPhone holder (since I always need some tunes...and need to know how far and fast I've gone) and an under the seat storage bag (because a woman always needs a bag).  One of these days I'm going to add wicker basket on the front...just because I think it will look cool.

Saturday was the first time I took off on a ride for exercise.  Almost 7 miles in 27 minutes.  Not bad considering I'm still trying to get used to the gears...and my thigh muscles were burning in pain.  My muscles don't like doing new things.  

Sunday - Rest!

Monday - I tried to restart my 10k training.  After all, Friday's 10min/10hour debacle was over, and I needed to get back on track.  There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the humidity was terrible.  I just did okay.  I was supposed to run 40 min total (10 min increments with 1 min walking in-between).  I almost made it.  I just couldn't do the last 2 minutes.  It was so hot I had to come home and jump in the pool to cool off.

Tuesday - Rest!  (yes again)

Wednesday - Running day.  The goal today was to run a 5k.  That's it...no extra distance, just run a standard 5K.  Fortunately the weather was great (compared to normal July weather in Georgia)...temp in the low 70s, humidity not too high, light breeze and cloudy skies.  I finished my 5k in excellent time (10:54/mile woohoo!) and I was feeling good.  I decided I'd go ahead and run to the next street...just add a little distance.  At that corner I had two options.  I could stop and just be done with it...or I could take a left and run down a nice long hill.  My legs were feeling good so I took the left.  I didn't stop 'til I reached the bottom (even dodging a trash truck on the way).  My total running time was 39 min 45 seconds. I'd run 3.65 miles with no stops...longest run ever!!!

You may think I cheated by running downhill to finish, but I have no problem with that.  Anything to get me to go farther works for me.  Now that I've run 40 minutes (almost) I know I can do it.  It's a mental thing.  I'll take any help I can get, because sometimes it's all in my head...and I want to be happy in my head.

Thursday - First day of school!!!  (Doesn't have anything to do with running, but it put me in my happy place.)

No running today to rest my legs, but I still wanted to exercise.  I chose to start something new...a brand new DVD.  Don't ask me why, but I chose Jillian Michaels Killer Buns & Thighs.  I had no idea what I was getting into.  As I said earlier, my muscles don't like new things...and this was no exception.  Jillian is fierce, and she pushed you to do things you didn't think you could.  I was sore as soon as I finished the easy workout. I'm not sure I'll every be able to work up to the hard one.  The word "killer" in the title refers to the fact that she is going to kill your buns and thighs.  OUCH!

After that agony I still had one more way to torture myself left for the day.  My friend Tasha texted me that she was starting a 30 day plank challenge.  In a moment of stupidity insanity I decided to do it with her.  We were going to make Thursday day 1.  Plank for 20 seconds.  That really doesn't sound like very long, but let me tell you my arms were shaking as I stared at my phone begging for the time to pass quickly.  Day 1 down...I have no idea how I'm going to do that for 5 minutes in only a month.

Friday - Biking day again.  Today I woke up soooo sore from Jillian.  I could barely move.  I've just moved her to my enemy list.  Fortunately I could still ride my bike, so after I loaded the kids on the school bus I took off for a nice easy 10 mile ride.  Of course, there's no such thing as an easy 10 miles, unless you're riding in a car...but I did it!  Now I plan on a few days of well deserved rest.  

Oh wait, I almost forgot...I still have to plank.  Darn Tasha, she's always getting me into these things...but it is for my own good.  Off to plank I go.  

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment